Image Map

Monday, December 2, 2013

Pumpkin Fest 2013

I know, I know!  It's winter now and everyone is in the winter spirit but I was out of town for Thanksgiving and still wanted to share what my kiddos did to celebrate fall!  And let's be honest...  I actually have time to write a blog post so I have A LOT to catch up on, lol.

Right before the holidays my kiddos and I got elbow deep in some serious pumpkin activities!  These were not all done in one day mind you.  In fact, we did one activity for Halloween and one for Thanksgiving!  I know some schools are stricter on their holiday policy, so some of you might not be able to do this during those times.  Thankfully you can do these anytime during the fall season and it is still applicable and fun!
The first activity we did was Pumpkin Fest Labs!  Thanks to Jennifer Runde from Runde’s Room and her wonderful unit “The Pumpkin Pack” that was filled with all sorts of science and math labs that correlated with dissecting a pumpkin!  Here are just a few of the labs we did in class:
Sink or Float
 

 
Measuring the Circumference
 
 
Counting Seeds
 
Can't forget the rotten pumpkin!  Always fun when the kids cut into that ;o)
 
 
Graphing and Finding Correlations
 
All in all this activity took up the first half of our day but my kids were using their math and science brains THE WHOLE TIME and they LOVED it!  I will absolutely be doing this every year from now on.  Come back tomorrow (yes, you read that right... TOMORROW.  I know, I can't believe it either - two posts in two days) to find out what we did for the rest of Pumpkin Fest.  HINT: IT WAS DELICIOUS!

Happy fall y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment