Image Map

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Trick or Treat: Math Games!

I'm linking up with my girl Jivey from Ideas by Jivey for Workshop Wednesday!  Today's (really yesterday's) theme is Math Games.


As some of you know, this is my first year teaching EVERYTHING.  We've always been departmentalized so teaching Math and Science is a whole new adventure for me but I'm loving it!  My kids really enjoy having math games during our Math Workshop because they get to reinforce their skills in a fun and inventive way or they get to apply their learning to real life situations.  Here are just a few of the games you will find in our station tubs right now:

Division Error Analysis and Task Cards by Teaching with a Mountain View
(TWAMV has some AMAZING products and my kids love them)

 
What I really like about this product is that the kids know right off the bat that the problem is wrong and they have to analyze and explain why it is wrong and how to correct it.  There are 9 problem cards and a blank one where students (or you) can make their own.
 
 Trick or Treat: Order of Operations, Two-Digit Divisors, and Multi-Digit Multiplication
(We are just finishing up Division and moving into Algebra)
 
 
 
 
 

When I first created these games and added them to our math centers, I thought they would be a nice review of skills and a little "treat" to go with the holiday season.  Little did I know what big of a hit they would be!
 
Students are given 14 equation cards and they have to figure out if the equation is correct (treat) or incorrect (trick).  Once they figure it out, they place the equation card in the right space on the graphic organizer (Trick or Treat).  When they have figured out all equation cards, they check their graphic organizer against the answer sheet.  The kids were hysterical when figuring out whether the answers were "tricks" or "treats."  You could hear them whisper, "It's a trick!" or "Oh!  It's a treat!" HAHA needless to say I will apparently be making more of these as my kids love them!  If you would like to add them to your math centers as well, click on any of the images above to take you to them.
 
At the moment those are the "top math games" in our math centers.  I know because I had my kids vote, lol!  Don't forget to head on over to Jivey's site and see what other people are doing in their math centers.  I've already checked it out and there are some great ideas that I will be implementing soon!



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sabra!! I just realized that I haven't been in touch lately! I love your math games for math workshop. They make me miss math (my favorite subject!). We are the opposite from you and are departmentalized for the first time. I love being able to concentrate on one subject but miss the other subjects too! Hope all is well. :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey . math games is easy for those students who have problems in math solving . and i think now many have math games and solution of math question . specially for kids because they love games and they want to enjoy always and always want to play games . It's a trick, Math Multiplication needless to say I will apparently be making more of these as my kids love them!

    ReplyDelete