Image Map

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Idioms: Literal vs. Figurative

We recently finished our unit on Figurative Language and Poetry and my kids voted this as one of their favorite activities!  Each of my students picked an idiom that they wanted to illustrate and as they chose they had to tell me what their idiom meant.  If they didn't know we got to "poll the audience" (ask the class if they know) or we looked up the definition in Scholastic's Idiom Dictionary.  That is a must if you don't have it already!  So many great idioms, definitions, and examples in context.

Once everyone had their idiom they began coloring their pictures (no white space, they had to take up the whole box) and writing the meaning for each version.  I created the template with an area for both the literal meaning and one for the figurative.  When they were all done we hung them up in the hall.   The final product was amazing!  The kids did such a wonderful job showing how ridiculous the literal meaning could be and perfect visuals to explain the figurative meaning.  Here are just a few examples:




Click here to get this activity at my TPT store!  It includes the directions sheet, possible idioms list, and the "Literally vs. Figuratively" template.  I hope y'all enjoy it as much as my kiddos did!

Sabra

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute activity! Thank you for sharing!!

    :) Kaitlyn
    Smiles and Sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! We did something similar, and the kids loved it. Thanks! I'm your newest follower! :)
    Jessica
    ideas by jivey


    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea, I have also tried it with my students, they happily learning it now, before no one even come to touch the idioms chapter. I just loved this way of learning, you explored. thanks. Jeniffer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this...we are doing something very similar in a homeschool lesson!

    ReplyDelete