Image Map

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Year of Dates

Now I know this has nothing to do with education but it does fall into the category of "life's other joys" from the title of my blog.  As much as I love teaching, it's not as much as I love my man and sometimes I feel like teaching can overshadow our "us" time.  So I wanted to do something special for him.  You can probably tell by this point that I love to create things and so does Mr. S.  If he can make it he will try that before he buys it, and I mean anything: boat, surfboard, bookshelf, desk, gun, car alarm, etc.  So I knew this gift would be right up his alley for multiple reasons!  We had a lot going on this year and we started to slim down on dates (for one reason or another) and I just wasn't having that.  So for Valentine's Day I gave him a year of dates (another fabulous Pinterest find)!  Every month on the first we open up the envelope for that month and inside is a preplanned and mostly prepaid date.  Most of the dates are new to us but some of them are oldies but goodies.

February: Couple's Massage


March: Picnic and Movie in the Park


April: Great American Pie Festival


May: Day of Relaxation at JW Marriott Pool


June: Summer Blockbuster Hits



A lot of the dates were suprisingly minimal in cost or free!  I think the most expensive was the couple's massage and even that I got with a Groupon.  This was such a big hit that two of the other gals on my team also came up with dates for their significant others.  One of the ladies tweaked it (since she has four kids) so that they just pick an envelope whenever they get free time and I think she even added in dates with the kids!

This really boiled down to seeing how much time I spend on my students and my classroom and realizing I need to spend some of that time on me and my life.  I know there are plenty of y'all that can relate!  If you have any other great date night ideas, please let me know!  I would love to do this again next year ;o)

Sabra

4 comments:

  1. Great ideas!

    I have to remind myself often that where we spend our time is often a reflection of where our priorities are. And even though I love creating things as part of my "me time", the time with my family cannot be gained again.

    I love your blog and am a new follower. I would love for you to come and visit me when you get the chance.


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sabra - cute blog...I just found you. I love finding new blogs. I'm your newest follower. Great ideas...family time is the BEST time.
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sabra! I've started planning for The Guiding Readers Book Study and you mentioned you would like to be involved. Here is the link to the schedule if you are still interested.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al132pff8HrZdHl1dDlpNlc4WGZoNjhBVHNJei13WVE

    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  4. one of my favorite ideas.. so glad u let me steal it, chris is too!!

    ReplyDelete